No Nursing Home for Me (Now this is what I call an alternate plan of care!)
About two years ago, I was on a cruise through the western Mediterranean, aboard a Princess liner. At dinner I noticed an elderly lady sitting alone along the rail of the grand stairway in the main dining room. I also noticed that all the staff, ship offices, waiters, busboys, etc., all seemed very familiar with this woman. I asked my waiter who she was, expecting to be told that she owned the line, but he said he only knew that she had been on board for the four cruises, back to back.
As I left the dining room, I caught her eye and stopped to say hello. We chatted for a little while and I finally said, “I understand you have been on this ship for the last four cruises.” She replied, “Yes, that’s true.” I stated, “I don’t understand,” and without a pause, she replied, “It’s cheaper than a nursing home.”
So, there will be no nursing home in my future either. When I get old and feeble, I am going to get on a Princess Cruise Ship. The average cost for a nursing home is $200 per day. I have checked on reservations at Princess and I can get a Long Term Discount and Senior Discount price of $135 per day. That leaves $65 a day for:
- Gratuities which will only be $10 per day.
- I will have as many as 10 meals a day if I can waddle to the restaurant, or have room service (which means I can have breakfast in bed every day of the week).
- Princess has as many as three swimming pools, a workout room, free washer and dryers, and shows every night.
- They have free toothpaste, razors, soap, and shampoo.
- The Princess Staff will even treat you like a customer, not a patient. An extra $5 worth of tips will have the entire will have the entire staff scrambling to help you.
- I will get to meet new people every 7 to 14 days.
- TV Broken? Light bulb need changing? Need to have the mattress replaced? No Problem! They will fix everything and apologize for your inconvenience.
- Clean sheets and towels everyday day, and you don’t even have to ask for them!
- If you fall in the nursing home and break a hip, you are on Medicare. If you fall and break a hip on the Princess ship, they upgrade you to a suite for the rest of your life.
Now, hold onto your seats for the best part! Do you want to see South America, the Panama Canal, Tahiti, Australia, New Zealand, Asia, or anywhere you want to go? Princess will have a ship ready to go!
So don’t look for me in a nursing home, just call shore to ship.
P.S. Don’t forget, when you die, they just dump you over the side at no charge!
Abe Glickman, LTCA, LTCP
Member: AALTCI, NAHU, NAIFA, SOA
Abe Glickman Insurance Group
Toll-Free Phone: 877-298-5824
“It is better to create a plan 10 years too soon than one day too late.”
Questions or Comments? Give me a call!